24 year old dies on Aer Lingus flight

RTE News tonight reported that a 24-year-old male has died aboard an Aer Lingus flight travelling from Lisbon to Dublin.

The man is reported to have bit another passenger before being restrained by crew and then fell unconscious.

The captain declared a medical emergency and the plane was diverted to Cork Airport where it landed at 17:40.

The man was pronounced dead on-board the plane.

Crew and passengers have been taken off the plane and are being transported by bus to Dublin.

Aer Lingus Flight Number EI485 Information

Missing person James Meechan

Gardaí in Ashbourne are seeking assistance in locating missing person James Meechan, aged 59 years from Ashbourne, Co. Meath.

He was last seen in the Ratoath area yesterday 13th November 2012.

James is described as being approximately 5’ 10” in height, has white-grey hair and a scar over his left eyebrow. He also speaks with a Scottish accent. When last seen James was wearing a black ski jacket with green and grey stripes and a black woolly hat.

Anyone with information on Jame’s whereabouts is asked to contact the Gardaí in Ashbourne on 01-8010600, or the Garda Confidential Line on 1800 666 111 or any Garda Station.

Director Of BBC Northern Ireland Has Confirmed His Involvement In The Newsnight Fiasco

Director of BBC Northern Ireland, Peter Johnston, has confirmed his involvement in decisions regarding the Newsnight investigation that wrongly linked politician Robert McAlpine to child sex abuse in north Wales. An inquiry into the programme, conducted by Director of BBC Scotland Ken MacQuarrie, found “unacceptable failings” by the corporation.
Mr. Johnston has said he is not considering his position and is awaiting further details of the investigation. Senior BBC employees are facing disciplinary action after the corporation admitted the Newsnight programme failed to complete “basic journalistic checks”.

It comes as British Prime Minister David Cameron and Culture Secretary Maria Miller added their voices to growing criticism over the £450,000 pay-off given to former director-general George Entwistle, calling it “hard to justify”. BBC Trust chairman Lord Patten yesterday defended the sum, saying it was “justified and necessary” to allow a clean break and avoid lengthy delays.

The official report into the Newsnight programme by Mr MacQuarrie revealed there was confusion about who had the ultimate responsibility for “final editorial sign-off” on the story that falsely linked Mr McAlpine to a paedophile ring. In the report, he said the programme’s editorial management structure had been “seriously weakened” as a result of the editor having to step aside over the Jimmy Savile scandal. Mr. MacQuarrie said, “During the editorial decision-making process, some of the basic journalistic checks were not completed. The, now infamous, programme featured an interview with Steve Messham, an abuse victim who said a senior political figure of the time abused him. Mr. Messham later admitted he wrongly identified his abuser and apologised.

Drunken youths’ party costs Dublin council €20k after child injured

Drunken parties in public parks are causing major financial hangovers for local authorities, a court heard today.

Barrister Eileen McAuley told the Circuit Civil Court that a two-year-old girl who fell on glass in the grass in Brickfield Public Park in Drimnagh, Dublin, was left with a jagged scar just below her left knee.

Judge Matthew Deery heard that little Croi Robinson was running towards the childrens’ slide on February 7, 2011, when she fell.

Ms McAuley said she had to be rushed to Crumlin Children’s Hospital where she was immediately taken to theatre to have the wound cleaned and stitched under general anesthesia.

She said that while the now four-year-old girl had made a full recovery she had suffered a deep laceration to her left knee and had been left with a permanent one inch long scar which, although she was currently not conscious of it, may require plastic surgery later.

Croi, of Crumlin Road, Dublin 12, sued Dublin City Council, the owners of the park, through her mother Theresa Robinson. She had been shocked and shaken by the accident.

Ms McAuley said Croi was in the toddlers’ swing area of the park and the glass from a broken bottle was hidden in grass.

She said the accident had happened on a Monday and it had transpired that youths had been drinking in the park over the weekend. Council staff had not carried out any cleaning prior to opening the park to the public.

Ms McAuley said local residents were aware of the park being used for drinks parties at weekends.

Judge Deery approved a €20,000 settlement and legal costs offer to Croi from Dublin City Council.

Sesame Street voice actor accused of having sex with a minor

Kevin Clash — the man known as the voice of Elmo — has taken a leave of absence from Sesame Street in the wake of allegations he had a sexual relationship with a 16-year-old boy, TMZ has learned … allegations Clash adamantly denies.

We’ve learned … Sesame Workshop lawyers recently met with a 23-year-old man who claims he and Clash began a sexual relationship 7 years ago … when he was 16 and Clash was 45.

Clash has acknowledged to TMZ he had a relationship with the young man — but insists it only took place AFTER the accuser was an adult.

Sesame Workshop honchos tell TMZ … “In June of this year, Sesame Workshop received a communication from a young man who alleged that he had a relationship with Kevin Clash beginning when he was 16-years-old. This was a personal relationship, unrelated to the workplace. We took the allegation very seriously and took immediate action.”

Sesame Workshop officials acknowledge to TMZ they met with the accuser twice and had a number of other communications with him.

Sources with direct knowledge of the situation tell TMZ … after the accuser’s initial meeting with Sesame Street, the accuser felt Sesame Workshop’s lawyers were trying to muzzle him … so he lawyered up with Andreozzi and Associates — the firm that represented one of the victims in the Jerry Sandusky child rape case.

View full article on TMZ

Founder of McAfee Anti Virus on the run from murder charges

Antivirus pioneer John McAfee is on the run from murder charges, Belize police say. According to Marco Vidal, head of the national police force’s Gang Suppression Unit, McAfee is a prime suspect in the murder of American expatriate Gregory Faull, who was gunned down Saturday night at his home in San Pedro Town on the island of Ambergris Caye.

Details remain sketchy so far, but residents say that Faull was a well-liked builder who hailed originally from California. The two men had been at odds for some time. Last Wednesday, Faull filed a formal complaint against McAfee with the mayor’s office, asserting that McAfee had fired off guns and exhibited “roguish behavior.” Their final disagreement apparently involved dogs.

John McAfee

Gizmodo reports:

Antivirus pioneer John McAfee is on the run from murder charges, Belize police say. According to Marco Vidal, head of the national police force’s Gang Suppression Unit, McAfee is a prime suspect in the murder of American expatriate Gregory Faull, who was gunned down Saturday night at his home in San Pedro Town on the island of Ambergris Caye.

Gizmodo shares an official police statement:

On Sunday the 11th November, 2012 at 8:00am acting upon information received, San Pedro Police visited 5 ¾ miles North of San Pedro Town where they saw 52 year old U.S National Mr. GREGORY VIANT FAULL, of the said address, lying face up in a pool of blood with an apparent gunshot wound on the upper rear part of his head apparently dead. Initial investigation revealed that on the said date at 7:20am LUARA TUN, 39years, Belizean Housekeeper of Boca Del Rio Area, San Pedro Town went to the house of Mr. Faull to do her daily chores when she saw him laying inside of the hall motionless, Faull was last seen alive around 10:00pm on 10.11.12 and he lived alone. No signs of forced entry was seen, A (1) laptop computer brand and serial number unknown and (1) I-Phone was discovered missing. The body was found in the hall of the upper flat of the house. A single luger brand 9 mm expended shells was found at the first stairs leading up to the upper flat of the building. The body of Faull was taken to KHMH Morgue where it awaits a Post Mortem Examination. Police have not established a motive so far but are following several leads.

Brothers admit stealing laptop from Sean Quinn’s daughter

Two brothers, who have amassed more than 100 criminal convictions between them, today admitted stealing a laptop belonging to a daughter of jailed former billionaire Sean Quinn.

Keith (aged 36) and his younger brother Gary Kinlan (aged 35), broke into Aoife Quinn’s car while it was parked in a laneway in north inner city Dublin.

They stole a case containing a HP laptop and iPhone 3GS belonging to her but were caught by gardaí within minutes hiding in a flats complex.

The pair, who are from Summerhill in north inner city Dublin, pleaded guilty today to the theft at Loftus Lane, Dublin 1, on July 28 last.

The men had previously denied the charges but changed their pleas to guilty this morning as their hearing at Dublin District Court was about to begin.

Ms Quinn was not present and did not have to give evidence in light of their admissions. However, her husband, Stephen Kelly, came to court to watch the proceedings.

Garda David Stafford told the court he was on patrol at Loftus Lane at 5.10pm when he saw the two men breaking into the 05-registered Mercedes.

“They made off in the direction of Dominick Street flats and I caught them underneath a stairwell,” Gda Stafford told Judge Catherine Murphy.

Defence solicitor Jenny McGeever said her clients had co-operated and it was a “straightforward” investigation.

Judge Murphy heard that Keith Kinlan had more than 50 previous convictions including theft, burglary, motoring, public order and assault offences.

His brother Gary already had 61 previous convictions for crimes including theft and burglary.

Both had received three-year sentences for burglary which were suspended for 18 months at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court in 2011.

These were still hanging over them at the time they stole Ms Quinn’s property which was recovered.

Judge Murphy adjourned their cases until tomorrow when they will appear in the Circuit Court which will decide whether or not it will activate their suspended sentences.

After that, they will come back to the district court which will hear mitigation pleas and deal with sentencing in relation to their latest crimes.

Neither of the Kinlans addressed the court during the hearing in which they also admitted other theft charges. The court heard gardaí saw Keith Kinlan walking with a bag on Gardiner Street on August 15.

He was stopped at Frenchman’s Lane where he handed over the bag which had a computer and other personal items that were stolen from a car.

On August 13 last, gardaí learned that two men were breaking into a car at Granby Lane, Dublin 1.

Keith Kinlan had found with a HP laptop and his brother was holding DVDs. They admitted breaking into a car and stealing the property.

Former BBC Director-General Will Receive One Year’s Salary

Former director-general George Entwistle will receive one year’s salary after resigning from the BBC. Mr Entwistle resigned after 54 days after a Newsnight report wrongly implicated former Conservative Party treasurer Lord McAlpine in an investigation into child abuse allegations. Under the standard executive board contract, he would normally be entitled to just six months salary. A BBC Trust spokesman said: “The BBC reached a consensual termination agreement with George Entwistle last night and agreed to pay him 12 months pay, in lieu of notice. This reflects the fact that he will continue to help on BBC business.”

The chairman of the Commons Culture, Media and Sport Committee, John Whittingdale, said he could not see any justification for the payoff. “A lot of people will be very surprised that somebody who was in the job for such a short period of time and then had to leave in these circumstances should be walking away with £450,000 of licence fee payers’ money,” he said. “I want to hear an explanation but I have to say that I find it very difficult to see a justification for that amount of money to be paid to somebody who has had to resign in these circumstances.” He added, “A lot of people will be giving evidence to the inquiry into the culture and practices within the BBC and I can’t imagine they will all be being paid for it.”

The chairman of the BBC Trust, Lord Patten, told Sky News that people will expect him to step down if he fails to restore the public’s confidence in the corporation. “If we don’t restore the huge confidence and trust that people have in the BBC, then I’m sure people will tell me to take my cards and clear off,” he said. Lord Patten also admitted that the future of Newsnight s being discussed. Tim Davie, the new director-general of the BBC, will unveil plans to restore the broadcaster’s reputation on Monday.

‘IRA’ claim responsibility for David Black murder

A new republican paramilitary group calling itself the IRA is claiming responsibility for the murder of prison officer David Black earlier this month.

In a statement released to the Irish News in Belfast the group say the killing was in direct response to the conditions in Maghaberry Prison, where Mr Black worked.

Fifty two-year-old father of two David Black was shot dead on the M1 in Co Armagh on November 1 as he drove to work.

Today a newly formed republican paramilitary group calling itself the IRA has claimed responsibility for the killing.

In a statement the group said it is a successor to the provisional IRA which disbanded after the Belfast agreement in 1998.

The new organisation is a coalition of dissident groups formed earlier this year.

It said the killing was a direct response to what it said was the degradation of Republican Prisoners at Maghaberry, where nationalists have been protesting against strip searches.