Uncategorized

Leonard Watters awaits ruling on appeal of six month prison sentence for making false claims against Louis Walsh

An unemployed dance teacher who falsely accused X Factor judge Louis Walsh of groping him in a nightclub will learn today if he has won his appeal against a six-month prison sentence.

Leonard Watters pleaded guilty to making two false reports to gardaí that the pop music mogul sexually assaulted him in Dublin night-spot Krystle in April 2011.

He was sentenced in January but spared jail until his appeal was heard last Monday.

Judge Katherine Delahunt will deliver her decision at the Circuit Court in Dublin this morning.

Watters falsely accused Walsh of sexually assaulting him in the toilet of Krystle after a Westlife concert.

Two months later he made two official reports to gardai and went to the The Irish Sun newspaper with his story.

But within days Watters was shown CCTV footage from the club that disputed his claims and admitted he had made up the allegation.

The 24-year-old, from Navan, Co Meath, was arrested at his home and charged before publicly apologising to Walsh for the unfounded claims.

During the appeal his solicitor, Cahir O’Higgins, told the court new medical reports revealed the father-of-two suffered from post-traumatic stress since he was badly burned in a “horrific” accident when he was 11.

The information backed psychological, psychiatric and probation reports previously handed in, he said.

Mr O’Higgins described Watters as a Walter Mitty-type character who became starstruck over the company he was with in the celebrity nightclub and made an idiotic allegation which was the ultimate cry for help.

He had since faced his alcohol problems, attends church and speaks to his parish priest regularly, has been on a pilgrimage to Medjugorje and is a volunteer at a local charity shop, Mr O’Higgins added.

The court previously heard the former dancer had blew €800,000 in compensation awarded when he reached the age 18 for 80% burns he suffered as a child after a friend threw a flammable liquid on a fire.

The early school leaver had to undergo 37 different medical procedures, with more surgery planned, and had since attempted suicide.

Meanwhile Walsh is suing Newsgroup Newspapers, publishers of The Sun, for defamation over an article it published on June 23 last year.

The paper has accepted the accusation was false but denied defamation, saying that it had acted fairly.

Spread the News
Share on Facebook
Facebook
Tweet about this on Twitter
Twitter
Email this to someone
email
Written by